Wednesday, April 23, 2014

It's Normal, You're normal.

I'm here to write about what every girl goes through every single day. I have felt strongly that I needed to write on this topic because I know it is such a common struggle.

We hear that "looks aren't everything".. But they play a big part in our lives. How we look and how we feel about our appearance can make a difference in our every day lives.

In middle school, ALL of my friends had boys who liked them. However, I was taller than most kids my age and just had a wide boy-ish build. While my peers were in 00 size pants, I was already wearing a size 7. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't fat in the least but I had the most awkward body. Broad shoulders, no chest, very skinny stomach, with large thighs. I was disproportionate. I looked around at all these 5'3" 115 lb girls and it killed me.

In high school and college I struggled with some acne and I was embarrassed to even make eye contact with people sometimes. I saw those girls with porcelain skin and thought how I wish SO BADLY I could walk out the door feeling confident with my face. I still have acne scars to this day.

I played it off pretty well like I was a confident person most of my life, but those who truly know me, understand how much I struggle with self-esteem.

The thing that has made it worse for me throughout the years, is social networking. I am not a very jealous person by nature, but I suddenly found myself longing and wishing I looked like or had the body, hair and lives of other people. I wanted to slap my self! This is not the Andy I knew. I found myself in complete disgust and HATE for my appearance after scrolling through Instagram or Facebook.



It would cause me to go stare at the mirror hating what I saw. Why can't my thighs be skinnier, my smile more straight, my lips bigger, my skin clearer, my nose smaller and my skin tanner like those other girls?

>>LISTEN UP<< 

It's n o r m a l to feel this way. Every girl does. However, just because it's normal, doesn't mean it's a good thing to keep criticizing yourself.

stop it.
   Stop it.
    STOP IT.
     STOP IT!

Wishing, hoping, scrolling and envying does no good. I find that instead, if you compliment and genuinely feel happy FOR someone, it makes you feel better. I love giving compliments because it stops me from getting those negative thoughts about myself and replaces it with positivity. 

I, along with many other girls just need to accept what we look like. There are definitely things we can do personally such as: working out more often, eating cleaner, cutting out sugar and soda, getting more sleep, etc.

I know that sometimes even spending more time getting ready in the morning helps me feel better about myself. Make a goal to get dolled up at least twice a week! It's a good feeling! :)

Some people choose to purchase nice clothes, expensive hair products, get spray tans, extensions, fake eyelashes.. etc. That's fine. If it makes you feel confident, great! But at the end of the day, we are still the same person. I will always look like Andrea Lu Denos. No amount of makeup, cute clothes or photo filters will change what I truly look like.

TRY THIS: Write a list of everything you dislike about yourself. (I know, I know, this probably sounds like a terrible idea, but I have a point). But instead of writing it as a derogatory statement, write it as something that you just need to accept. After you have done this, give yourself an opposing compliment! It works and really makes you appreciate what you DO have!

I need to accept that I will never weigh 130 lbs.
But I also need to understand that I have a body built for athletics and it allows me to do activities I love.
I need to accept that I have a lot of wrinkles and creases on the sides of my eyes when I smile. 
But I also need to understand that I have bright blue eyes that stand out more than any creases do.

I need to accept that I have a nose that curves out and doesn't give me that "super-model" profile. I dislike taking any pictures from the side.
But I also need to understand that it gives me character and makes me look different than most. 




I need to accept that I will always have uneven skin tones with blemishes.
But I also need to understand that I have cute freckles that appear in the summertime.



I need to accept that my hair is flat and stringy and I will never have the big voluptuous beach hair.
But I also need to understand that at least I have beautiful long healthy hair.



I need to accept that I may not have all the money in the world to buy expensive clothes.
But I also need to understand that I can pull off jeans and a t-shirt just as well.

I need to accept that no matter what I try, I will always have pretty bad eczema on my arms that cause it to be bumpy and purple.
But I also need to understand that it could be a lot worse, and it least it's just on my arm!

I need to accept that I will never have skinny thighs that do not touch, and I will never fit in a size 3.
But I also need to understand that I have really awesome long legs.

In the end, confidence is subjective. You get to decide whether or not you're confident. 


Have you noticed that the most BEAUTIFUL and CONFIDENT people are that way because of their personalities, intelligence, spirit and overall countenance?

I want to end with this video from Sister Elaine S. Dalton and bear my testimony that Heavenly Father created each of his children in His image. He would not create something that was not beautiful. I know that I am a beautiful daughter of God. He wants us to realize and accept our appearance and count our blessings that we have healthy, functioning bodies. More than that, He wants us to know what true beauty is and how to BECOME beautiful people. The Lord looketh upon the heart and sees our DEEP BEAUTY. I know He loves us and I have a great love for Him and our Savior Jesus Christ. He knows our struggles and we can go to him any time we are feeling down, jealous, depressed or even on days where we just don't feel pretty. He listens. I promise. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

PLEASE watch this video :)




No comments:

Post a Comment